As if you needed another excuse to buy fresh fish online, we’re sharing our favorite recipe for Key West-style fish and chips. But before we get into the specifics, let’s look at a little background on this fan-favorite dish.
This traditional seafood meal evolved in the 17th century out of Belgium or France, whichever story you want to believe when the first “chip” was created. It’s believed that frozen rivers led to housewives cutting potatoes into the shape of fish and frying them, which means chips weren’t designed as a complementary item to fish, but rather as a substitution.
Regardless of the truth behind its history, it’s a dish that made its way to America decades ago and continues to be a favorite seafood meal.
Now, go buy fresh fish online and make this recipe at home this week:
Fish and Chips, Key-West Style
Let’s get some ingredients:
- 4 Grouper filets (makes 2-4 servings)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBSP seasoned salt
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (Italian style or other of your choosing)
- 2 eggs
- oil for deep frying
- Lime wedges
- French fries of your choosing
Now for the cooking:
- Cut grouper filets into strips or bite-sized pieces, your call.
- Roll each filet in seasoned salt, then coat in flour.
- Dip each filet in egg, letting excess drip off.
- Coat each filet in breadcrumbs, then set aside.
- Fill a frying pan with about two inches of oil and heat over medium-high.
- Add each piece of fish to the frying pan, careful to avoid oil splatters.
- Cook fish for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Add a squirt of Key lime juice to each filet for an authentic Key West flavor.
- Serve with French fried “chips” and dipping sauce of your choice.
Buy Fresh Fish Online for a Key West-Inspired Meal!
Are you getting hungry yet? Buy fresh fish online and have it delivered to your door in time for tomorrow night’s dinner!
We’ve got Key West black grouper in stock, alongside a variety of other fish, shrimp, crab, and other flavors of the Gulf. Check out our online store and get fresh seafood fare delivered straight to your kitchen!