There’s nothing quite like fresh stone crabs right off the boat, which is why we’re thankful to be in Key West (if you’re not a local, it’s okay to be jealous). Our stone crabs are cooked as soon as they hit the dock, which is almost as close as you can get to plucking your own crabs from the gulf and cooking them yourself!
Whether you buy them fresh or frozen, you can take advantage of this delicious recipe for stone crab drenched in a silky butter sauce:
Eaton Street Seafood Stone Crabs with Homemade Butter Sauce
Make sure you have the following ingredients before you start:
- 32 large stone crab claws
- 1/2 stick of butter (4 tbsp)
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges for easy squeezing
This is probably the easiest recipe for steamed stone crabs you’ll ever make – just three simple steps stand between you and a delicious meal:
- First, prepare a steamer pot of boiling water. Inspect your stone crabs and place all uncracked claws into a steamer basket, then place over the steamer pot. Cover the basket and let the claws steam for about five minutes.
- While the claws are steaming, melt the butter over medium heat, taking care not to let the butter brown. Once melted, pour the butter into a small bowl.
- Remove the claws from the steamer basket, crack open, and enjoy with the melted butter and lemon wedges. You can create a lemon butter blend by squeezing a few wedges into the melted butter, then drizzling over the cracked crabs or simply dipping the meat before each bite. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Get Stone Crabs and Other Key West Seafood Delivered to Your Door
Whether you’re a Key West local or a faraway fan, Eaton Street brings you all the best fresh flavors of the Florida Keys. All our seafood is caught fresh by local fishermen daily. Stop by or order online to get overnight delivery and enjoy your fill of the best flavors of the Gulf.
Check back for more Key West food inspiration – coming soon!