An Introduction to the Triggerfish
Welcome back to the Eaton Street Seafood Market everyone, the number one spot for fresh fish delivery in all of Key West and beyond! This time out, we’re going to jump right into the deep end and talk about one of Key West’s lesser known delicacies– the delicious triggerfish. And to start things off, we’re going to share one of our favorite triggerfish recipes with you. That way, the next time you’re looking for fresh fish delivery, you’ll know just what to order AND a delicious way to prepare it.
The recipe is for a dish called ceviche. If you’re not familiar with it, ceviche is a seafood dish that’s popular throughout Latin and South America, as well as in the Caribbean. Essentially, ceviche consists of marinated raw fish that’s cured in citrus juice and spiced with chili peppers or certain varieties of hot sauce. It often carries a bit of heat and is usually served with side dishes like sweet potatoes, avocados, or plantains. You can make ceviche with several different types of fish or seafood, but our recipe uses the triggerfish.
Triggerfish Ceviche Recipe
Our Ecuadorian style triggerfish recipe ill serve 3-4 people as an entree or 6-8 as an appetizer. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 lbs of fresh triggerfish cut into small pieces (since it’s a raw dish, the fish must be very fresh)
- 2 diced onion
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 2 diced bell peppers of assorted colors
- 1 serrano chili, optional for extra heat
- 18-20 medium limes, half to cure the fish, the other half to use in the marinade
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and diced
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Put the triggerfish in a glass dish and coat it with salt, pepper, and the juice from about 10 of the limes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- Combine the juice from the leftover limes with the vegetables and the cilantro and let it marinate for an hour
- After the fish has cured for four hours, remove the leftover liquid and mix it with the marinated vegetables
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
The triggerfish can also be grilled, broiled, baked, or fried, but ceviche is a unique and wonderful way to introduce yourself to this surprisingly delicious Key West local.
Eaton Street is More Than Just the Top Spot in Key West to Buy Seafood
We’ll know you’ll just love the flavor of the triggerfish. It’s a firm, white meat fish with a mild flavor and a subtly sweet aftertaste. The fact that it’s not very well known in Key West has nothing to do with how it tastes, so stop into Eaton Street the next time you’re down in Key West and give it a try.
But if you don’t plan on making a trip to Key West anytime soon, remember that you can buy fish online right on our website and have it delivered fresh to your door the next day. And while we’d love to have you give the triggerfish a try, there are plenty of other choices as well, all of them delivered fresh with a few clicks of your mouse. We deliver local fish, lobster, shrimp, scallops, and so much more all over the country, and we’d love to pay you a visit next!