It’s that time of year where winter weather inspires us to choose warm, nourishing and filling dishes like soups and stews. And none is more classic than seafood chowder, where sweet lobster, crab and scallops meld with mild white fish like Mackerel and Snapper in a simple creamy broth. This old favorite is easy to prepare, and even more convenient when you have fresh fish from Eaton Street Seafood Market delivered to your home.
Mail Order Seafood Makes Weeknight Dinner Easy!
This recipe in particular is flexible and forgiving. Choose your seafood based on personal preference, and select among the mail order fish from one us – of the country’s best online seafood markets! Even if you don’t live near the coast, today’s freshest, locally-caught fish and shellfish can be yours. We ship overnight from the fisherman direct to your door; you can’t buy fresher fish and shellfish than ours!
This recipe is a family favorite. It takes about 20 minutes of prep time, and about an hour of active cooking time. It serves 8 people, and is delicious served with warm, crusty bread.
Eaton Street Seafood Chowder
Here is a list of the ingredients you’ll need. You can order the white fish, scallops, crab, and lobster directly from Eaton Street Seafood Market.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
3 cups fish stock or water
2 cups potatoes, cubed
1 bay leaf
1 lb. white fish (e.g., Yellowtail Snapper), skinned, de-boned, cut into 1” chunks
1/2 lb. scallops
1/2 lb. crab, cleaned
2 lobster tails, cleaned and cut into 1-2” chunks
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and white pepper, to taste
Parsley for garnish
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat.
- Add onions celery. Cook until softened.
- Add fish stock or water and 1 bay leaf; heat through.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add seafood and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes or until seafood is cooked through (fish will flake easily with a fork, shellfish will be opaque).
- Slowly add whole milk and heavy cream.
- Simmer to heat through, stirring frequently but gently, and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls, add spoonfuls of seafood mixture.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
If you’ve never tried to mail order fresh seafood, you’re in for a treat. We get the best of the catch of the day from local fisherman and pack it swiftly for maximum freshness. All of our packages are shipped FedEx with overnight delivery, ensuring quality from shore to door. Eaton Street Seafood Market may be in Key West, FL, but we are your local fish market.