Conch is one of the most underrated members of the seafood family. Though considered a delicacy in some countries, most folks in the U.S. have no idea what conch is.
Conch is a member of the mollusk family and lives inside spiral-shaped seashells (or conch shells). They’re rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals.
Here’s the most interesting part: conch can be prepared several different ways and tastes different depending on how you use it.
One of our favorite ways to eat conch is turning this delicious little morsel into bite-sized fritters. Today we’re sharing an easy recipe for conch fritters that are worthy of a snack, side dish, or even as a main course!
When you buy seafood online, make sure you add conch to your order. Rest assured: you’re in for a treat!
Conch Fritters Recipe
Before you get cooking, here’s what you’ll need:
- Oil (for frying)
- 1 lb conch meat
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup bell peppers (use a variety of colors)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper and/or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
Now, for the fun part:
- Use a large pot or deep fryer and heat 1 qt. of oil to 365-degrees.
- Mix the egg, flour, and milk together in a bowl to form a sticky batter.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (also red pepper flakes/cayenne pepper if you like it spicy).
- Add the conch meat, bell peppers, and celery and combine thoroughly.
- Use a spoon to drop small balls of the mixture into the oil, one at a time. Be careful of splatters!
- Deep fry the fritters until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and “drain’ on a paper towel.
- Serve with a squirt of lemon juice or a little lemon-garlic butter.
Save Time: Buy Seafood Online
Warning, these conch fritters may be addicting. They’re so good, especially when they’re piping hot. It’s also easy to eat a LOT of them in a single sitting, so you may want to double the recipe.
Eaton Street Seafood Company makes it easy to get fresh conch and other seafood sent straight to your door. Skip the grocery store line, buy seafood online, and take the guesswork out of dinner!