This might sound biased, but our fresh Key West shrimp is arguably the best reason to buy seafood online. Especially when we’re also sharing the ways you can use them!
We’ve taken all the best flavors of Cajun gumbo and added our Key West pink shrimp to make it simply perfect. Plus, it tastes like it simmered in your kitchen all day but only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish!
Here’s how to make your own at home:
Shrimp and Sausage Cajun Gumbo with Rice
Let’s start with what you’ll need:
- 1/2 pound Key West pink shrimp
- 1 package smoked sausage (U-shaped, cut on the diagonal)
- cooking oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- broccoli florets, chopped fine with stalks removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
- red pepper flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour with 1/8-1/4 cup of cooking oil in a cooking pan. The goal here is to use enough oil to make a smooth (but not overly liquid) texture for the roux. Stir over high heat for about 3 minutes, then reduce heat and continue to stir until roux turns a reddish-brown.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and broccoli to the pan and stir until cooked, about 8-11 minutes.
- Add cajun seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil.
- After about a minute of boiling, reduce heat to low and add sausage, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat and cover; let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bring to a boil again.
- Add the shrimp and cook on high for about 3 minutes.
- Add rice to bowls, then spoon the gumbo over the rice and enjoy!
Buy Seafood Online from Eaton Street Seafood Market
It’s simple dinners like these that make cooking a pleasure. You don’t have to be a gourmet chef to get great results, especially when you can order high-quality seafood online to make every dish a treat.